Although we are taking a break from performing, we love to share our music so please enjoy this collection of videos and songs (scroll down) that myself and my sweetheart created together in our lounge room sometimes just the two of us and sometimes with dear friends and collaborators.
My Figment, an alt-folk acoustic duo come four piece is the creation of Chelle and Dave. They are lovers, friends and co- creators of many undiscovered, eclectic, original songs…and a rather sweet pigeon pair. Chelle is a sentimental dreamer, forever enchanted by folklore, dandelions, clouds and ordinary lives being lived. The seventies sounds of Joni Mitchell, Carol King, Neil Young, Melanie and other folk greats comprised the soundtrack to her childhood. She is a lover of the folk tradition and the brave path of song writers who harvest their heart, share stories and feed the universal well from which we all draw connection, love, healing and joy. Her parents were a little less fanciful and believed a nicely pruned lawn was as artistic as anyone needed to be. Nevertheless they imbued her memory with other cultural highlights like Alby Mangel’s summer tour of local halls, her Dad’s bellowing Ring of Fire rendition at family BBQ’s, and 50’s revival band nights at the local Sports Club….where it so happens some artful eight year old pestering clinched her debut, singing He’s a Rebel. Even this faultless rendition could not convince her mum to fork out for lessons. A late bloomer she now forages for time to sit at her keyboard (her alter) diving deep, writing songs and wrenching out the grit to honour this long held dream.
Dave’s childhood revolved around mountains and valleys, the chugging of village trains, and itinerant seasons of fruit and cane. He has fond memories of a gypsy lifestyle close to nature. He picked up a guitar at 10, and at 16 pledged his dedication, after discovering one of his great musical influences Bruce Cockburn. In his early twenties, a road trip from Brazil to Boulder, and a bank balance dwindling, he reached a peak of musical greatness when his dinner depended on it. By the time they met, Chelle was a high school teacher with a book full of poetry and half crafted songs. Dave was a Youth Worker doing the occasional Brisbane gig. After meeting at a Brisbane pajama party and discovering they had Ben Harper, Tiddas, Kev Carmody and Indigo Girls albums in common, they progressed to their first date. Amid candles and dinner on Dave’s lounge room floor Chelle heard some of his original tunes and an ongoing love affair was sealed. Their first song together was Something Fine by Jackson Brown. Fourteen years on in between babies, they have played in various collaborations at local festivals and markets, the 2013 ABC Exhumed North Coast Band Finals, in halls with good friends, lounge rooms and parties.
Renewing their lives over again, music plunges them into honest and sometimes hard conversations about what it means to be alive and authentic in the world. They live in Northern NSW with Mt Warning always in view, the birth place of Dave, his parents, grand-parents and now his children. They have begun the process of recording their songs in hope that a piece of their heart will be exhumed by someone who cares long after they have gone.
My Figment Performances 2016
- Brunswick Heads Markets, Saturday March 5, 10am
- Pheonix Rising Cafe Nimbin, Sunday April 3rd, 12.30pm
- Uki Markets, The Buttery, Sunday April 17, 12pm
- GlenRock Music Festival Uki, Saturday June 11, 4pm
- Coast Acoustics, Gold Coast Country Paradise Parklands, Saturday July 23rd, 4pm
- Bangalow Markets, August 28, 10am
- Gold Coast Folk Festival, September 17 & 18
- Mullumbimby Markets, October 5th
My Figment Performances 2015
- Uki Markets, The Buttery, Sunday May 17
- Murwillumbah Art Trail Pressed Exhibition Opening, 4pm Saturday June 13, 23 Prospero St Murwillumbah
- The Bangalow Markets, Sunday July 26th from 10.30
- Sphinx Rock Café, Sunday October 4th from 1pm My Figment
- Tweed Fusion Festival- Cabarita Art Trail, Saturday Oct 24, 3pm
- The Regent Murwillumbah Wednesday Dec 3, 7pm
- Bangalow Markets Sunday May 25th 10am-2pm
- House Concert May 21st Waterloo St Murwillumbah 7-8.30pm
- The Regent Cinema Murwillumbah Sunday August 24th 5-7.30pm
- Tweed Fusion (Caba Creative) Festival Cabarita Beach Saturday October 4th
- The Chrystal Crk Church, Chrystal Crk, Friday November 28th
My Figment Little Red Caboose EP purchase at http://www.amazon.com/Little-Red-Caboose-My-Figment/dp/B00KHIRXLY
Little Red Caboose